Wednesday, June 27, 2012

A Christmas Eve Miracle

It was Christmas Eve 1999, and I remember it well.  I had to work at Walmart that day.  It was a very easy day at the service desk, unlike the day AFTER Christmas, and everyone was definitely in the Christmas spirit.  I was sad to be away from Jeremy and the kids, but at least I got off at 7:00 PM, unlike everyone else that worked that day.  The store did close at 7:00 PM, but everyone else had to stay to clean up in preparation for the day after Christmas.  I got to leave because my availability on that day of the week was only until 7:00 PM.  So, I was the only one leaving at 7:00 PM, and trust me, my co-workers kept giving me a hard time about it, too!  I didn't mind though!  I just wanted to get home to my family!  It was almost Christmas!

Whew!  Anyway, now that we have that straight, on with the story.  So , I got off work, and started out the Walmart door.  I was still in my customer-service mode, and feeling quite festive and happy!  I couldn't wait to get home to see Jeremy, Diane and Daniel.  I got about 20 feet away from the Walmart door and I saw a man, about my age, walking towards the door.  I quickly told him, "Oh, I'm so sorry, but we're closed for the evening.  We won't be opening again until the day after Christmas."  It was pretty dark outside, and although some customers were loading up their vehicles with the treasures they had just purchased, it was mostly just him and me standing there.

He replied, "Oh no, that's not good.  A friend just dropped me off here and now I don't have a ride home."

Hmmm, that's not good.  If Jeremy had been there, I could have offered him a ride home, but I certainly wasn't going to do that since I was alone.  I did respond to the man and say something like, "Sorry to hear that.  I think there is a pay phone right by our door."  Guess he would just have to call someone to come get him.

Now, the employees at Walmart parked way out at the end of the parking lot, in the far corner, so it was quite a walk from where I was.  What I should have done at this moment was turn around and walk back inside the store.  But, I didn't think of that.  I just wanted to get home, and so I turned to start walking to my car, and the man followed me.  I thought that was odd, but I guessed he was just going to walk on home instead of call someone.  Maybe he lived close.

Right then, much to my surprise, Jeremy and the kids pulled up in our mini van.  Jeremy opened the passenger side door, which was just a few feet away from me, and said, "Get in!"

I  was so surprised to see him.  He never picked me up at work, and there was no reason for him to be there.  I had the car to drive myself home.  But, I quickly thought how wonderful this was, because now we could offer that man a ride home.  I started to explain the man's situation to Jeremy, but he simply said again, "Nikki, get in the van!"

"OK," I thought.  He sure is anxious for me to get inside the van.  I'll just explain the situation once I get inside.  So, I got in and he said, "Close the door."  So I did, and he drove straight across the parking lot, towards our car that was parked in the employee parking.

"Wait a minute, Honey.  I want to tell you something," I said.

"No," he said, "Who was that man you were talking to?  I didn't like the way he was looking at you."

"What do you mean?"  I replied, confused, "He just came here to shop, and I told him we were closed and he said that he didn't have a ride home.  A friend dropped him off.  I think he is going to walk home, and it's so cold I was thinking maybe we could give him a ride, now that you're here."

Jeremy drove over to where our car was and parked.  "No, I didn't like the look he had on his face when he was looking at you.  Let's just watch him a minute and see what he does," he said, locking our van doors.

We were pretty far away from where the man was by this point, and we sat and watched him.  He walked right over to a beat-up car, opened the door, got inside and drove away, all by himself.  I couldn't believe it.  I was completely dumb-founded. 

Jeremy and I were both pretty shaken up at this point, as the realization of what had just happened sunk in.  Diane and Daniel were oblivious in the back seat.  Oh my!  We sat in the parking lot, and I asked Jeremy why he had come to pick me up, since it had not been planned and I had the car right here.  He explained that he had taken the kids to McDonald's that day to play in their play area while I was at work.  As he was sitting there, this idea popped into his head.  He said he thought it was the Lord saying, "You should go pick Nikki up at work today."  He said he quickly dismissed the idea, since there was really no reason to do that.  But, later at home, he heard it again, "You should go pick Nikki up at work today."  He said it wasn't a very strong thought, and didn't seem pressing at all.  He dismissed it again.  But, the third time the thought came, "You should go pick Nikki up at work today" he decided he would do it.

So, he loaded the kids back up again, drove to Walmart, and pulled up exactly as I was starting to walk to my car, with that strange man following me.  Wow!  I mean, we couldn't have planned it out any better if we had tried.  He got there at exactly the right time to "pick me up from work," even though I already had the car there.  Who does that?  No one, except for a Godly husband who is definitely listening to the voice of God and protecting his silly, naive wife, who should have thought to go back inside with that man there, but didn't.  No, I was just going to walk on out to my car, all by myself, with that man following me all the way.

God knew exactly what I was going to do, and He protected me!  That Christmas Eve, and all day Christmas, we just couldn't stop thanking God for His protection!  What would have happened if Jeremy hadn't "picked me up" from work that day?  I am so very, very thankful that I do not know.  God is so good, and He protects His children even when they're being foolish!  Thank you, Lord!  To God be all the glory!!!

3 comments:

  1. Thank god he listened to god!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! That is outstanding! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I am so thankful! :) Even writing this story so many years later, I still feel such a thankfulness that God protected me, and that Jeremy was listening to Him.

    ReplyDelete