Friday, August 10, 2012

Divine Protection

Diane, our 17 year old, and Daniel, our 13 year old, are on their way to Parsons, KS to visit their grandparents.  All alone.  All their idea.  It is so sweet that they want to go visit their grandparents.  However, there can be something very odd and unsettling for a parent when two of their children pull out of the driveway, alone, to head off on a road trip.  It takes a lot of trust in God to raise children, but it may take even more to let them go out into the world all on their own.  Good thing I trust God so much, and know that He is always looking out for my kids.  Good thing that He is so worthy of that trust, and more than able to take care of my kids.

A pastor's wife I knew told me that the minute her first child was born she told the Lord, "I can't always be with her to take care of her, and even if I could, I know that You can take way better care of her than I ever could, even when I am with her.  So, I'm putting her in your hands, and I know that you will take care of her each and every minute of her life."  She said she did that and she decided right then and there that she would never worry about her daughter.  She decided she would trust her life to the Lord, and know that He was more than big enough to take care of her.  I like that.  I like that a lot.

The kids heading off to Parsons reminded me of something that happened about thirteen years ago when we were on our way to Parsons from Broken Arrow, OK.  There's an account in the Bible in the book of Numbers about a time when the Lord actually caused a donkey to be able to speak to his master Balaam.  Balaam was upset with his donkey because the donkey wouldn't move.  His donkey actually saw an angel of the Lord that Balaam didn't see blocking the way, and Balaam kept hitting his donkey.  And, the Lord miraculously caused the donkey to be able to speak to Balaam and ask him why he kept hitting him.  The account is in Numbers 22 if you want to read it.

Back to our story...  When Daniel was a baby, Jeremy, Diane, Daniel and I all headed in our white Oldsmobile to Parsons, KS from Broken Arrow, OK for a weekend trip.  We were staying with Jeremy's parents and they lived on the south side of town.  I was driving and Jeremy was sleeping in the passenger seat beside me.  Daniel was behind me in the back, and Diane was behind Jeremy.  I decided I would take a shortcut to get to his parents' house.  I had to go down a country gravel road to do it, but since his parents lived on that side of town, it would take us right to their house, saving about 15 or 20 minutes driving time.  I'm all about short cuts!

So, I'm driving along on that gravel road and Jeremy is sleeping soundly beside me.  Suddenly, Jeremy bolted up and said, "Stop!  Train!"

I was so surprised, but I instantly just slammed on the brakes.  Right then a train whooshed by in front of us about 5 feet from our car.  It all happened very quickly, and we just sat there watching the train.

After my shock wore off, I began apologizing to Jeremy.  "I'm so sorry, honey!  I didn't even see that train."  Then I started thinking about what had happened, so I added, "I thought you were asleep.  How did YOU see that train coming?"

I looked at the surroundings.  There were bushes and trees grown up all around the sides of the track, and there was nothing marking the train track.  If I would have been guessing, I would have thought that track wasn't even used any longer.  But, obviously it was, since a train was zipping by in front of us!

Jeremy said, "I was asleep, Nikki.  I don't know what happened.  I just sat up and said, 'Stop! Train!' but I didn't know there was a train either.  I was asleep."

We thanked God for protecting us, and after the train passed by we proceeded the 15 more minutes to his parents house.  About five minutes later Jeremy said, "Well, I guess if God can talk through a donkey to Balaam, he can talk through me when I'm sleeping!"

Glory to God!  He supernaturally protected us that day!  He's such a good Father, and He takes such good care of His children.  And, He will always take good care of our children, too!  I believe it! :) And, I trust Him!


No comments:

Post a Comment