Wednesday, August 1, 2012

How Jeremy and I Met

Jeremy and I grew up in the same small town of Parsons, KS.  I lived there all my life; he moved there in third grade.  We attended different elementary schools, but in middle school everyone attended the same school.  We didn't know each other personally, but our school wasn't too big, so I did know of him.  Something interesting did happen our sixth grade year.  As a fundraiser, the student council had everyone in the school fill out a questionnaire answering various questions about themselves.  They sent them into a company that matched people of the opposite sex up by their compatibility.  When the results were in, we could purchase them for a dollar.  Of course everyone wanted to see who they were matched up with!  It listed your top ten matches.  Guess who was number one on my list?  A boy named (Drum-roll, please!) Jeremy Storment.  That was my first introduction to Jeremy.  He was number one on my list so I, of course, looked him up in our school yearbook to see who he was.  I really didn't think too much else about it at the time, but isn't that something?

In high school we also didn't have any classes together, though we did have one class together our Sophomore year.  But, he ran around with a different group of friends than I did, and we didn't sit by each other in that class, so we didn't really talk at all.  However, we did work at the same place, Wilson Art & Frame Shop.  I worked in the shop, helping the customers and doing various other things around the shop.  And, Jeremy worked in the garage behind the shop making the frames.  We still didn't talk though, because we didn't really see each other, even though we were there at the same time.  I do remember one day Jane,  the shop owner and my boss, telling me to go outside and ask Jeremy to carry some frames upstairs for me.  I was organizing the frame room up there.  So, I did that.  I was very talkative with Jeremy, but he didn't seem too interested in talking with me (He answered every question I asked him with a one-word answer.) so nothing really came of that encounter either.  He now tells me that he was too nervous to talk much to me that day, and was also too busy noticing my legs. :)  Mini-skirts were popular back then, and I had one on that day.

So, about two years later, during our second semester of our Senior year, Jeremy and I actually met and started talking.  We had Senior year Government class together, and I was already in the room that first day of class when he walked into class.  We could sit anywhere we wanted, and I had chosen a seat over in the front corner of the room.  Then I saw Jeremy walk in, and I remembered that computer dating match-up sheet from our sixth grade year.  I thought to myself, "I got him as number one on my list, and here we are, seniors in high school, and I've never even gotten to know him at all.  I think I'll move seats and sit in front of him."

So, I picked up my things and moved to the seat right in front of Jeremy, making an excuse about wanting to sit next to another friend of mine.  However, if anyone would have been thinking about it, they would have known that wasn't really true, because that friend was sitting a row ahead of me, so the seat I chose was actually diagonal from her.  Isn't high school fun?  I cannot imagine putting so much thought into where I sit now, but back then it was of upmost importance!  Well, I don't think anyone was thinking too much about why I was sitting where I was sitting, so it all worked out fine, better than fine actually.  And, Jeremy and I became best friends from that day on.  We seriously did.  And, we've been best friends ever since.

I am so thankful to God for the way everything started out for us, because neither of us were really living for the Lord back then, and yet God orchestrated everything and brought us together.  Another neat thing was that we just became best friends for a year.  We didn't actually begin a boyfriend/girlfriend relationship until a year later.  I highly recommend that, because we really got to know each other before we became romantically involved.  Our relationship was founded on a very solid friendship, and I know that has made a big difference our entire marriage.  He truly is my best friend and the love of my life!  Happy 19th Anniversary, Jeremy!  I love you!  The computer match-up list from sixth grade was right!  You are my number one! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment