Friday, July 13, 2012

Denise LeAnne

I got home from the Women's Conference 2001 on a Sunday, and the next morning I was sitting on my bed putting on my tennis shoes.  I had my foot propped up on the bed, and I was starting to tie that shoe when the Lord spoke to me in the most audible and stern voice that I have ever heard from Him.  I don't know if it was out loud, but I turned my head to look, because it was so real to me.  He commanded, "Get off of that medicine, NOW!"

I mean, it was a command.  I realized it was the Lord, and I said, "Yes, sir!"  Just like that.  I had never responded to Him like that before, but there seemed to be no other response to what He had said but that.  "Yes, sir!"

As I mentioned previously, I had been thinking about getting off of the medicine I was on ever since our conversation that night in the bath tub because I knew it wasn't safe if I ever became pregnant.  Two doctors had warned me of the problems that medicine could cause a baby in the womb, all kinds of birth defects and difficulties.  But, since we weren't planning to have any more kids, it really hadn't been an issue.  And, I really didn't want to get off the medicine because I thought it was going to be a big ordeal with my doctor.  However, after that quick but intense conversation with the Lord, I knew I had to do it.

I called my doctor's office that very morning, and asked for the nurse to call me back.  She did, and I explained that I wanted to get off the medicine.  She said that I couldn't possibly go off that medicine without coming in for an appointment, so I told her I wanted to schedule an appointment.  To me, the appointment went supernaturally well.  I was nervous to tell my doctor, because I thought he would argue with me about it, and also begin lecturing me about not becoming pregnant in the first place.  "Not that we are planning to become pregnant at this point," I reasoned.  "There could be another reason the Lord wants me to get off that medicine besides pregnancy."  I really didn't know, but I did know that His instructions were very clear and direct, and really left me no other option.

I think because of that, I had a new boldness when I talked with my doctor, and I was quite surprised when he just said "OK" and explained to me how to gradually wean my body off the medicine.  So, that was that.  I did what he advised, and got off that medicine.  And, my body responded very well.  It was amazing.

Six weeks later I found out I was pregnant with Denise LeAnne!  Can you believe that?  Of course you can, because you are hearing all this in hindsight, but we truly weren't planning to become pregnant.  And, I have no idea when our sweet Denise was conceived, which may be too much information for you (Ha, ha!), but Jeremy and I were quite surprised by the news that I was pregnant.  And, we were also so very thankful that I wasn't on that medicine any longer!  Glory, glory, glory to God!

To say that God wanted Denise to be born seems like such an understatement to me.  I mean, look at all that He had done just to get me to the place where I even became pregnant.  It was and is so amazing to me!  Anyway, I was not really scared throughout her pregnancy, but I was still nervous.  Jeremy was such an anchor throughout the entire pregnancy.  He prayed for me and for her every single day on his drive to work.  He encouraged me constantly with his words, always speaking about how good she was doing, how well she was growing in my womb.  It was such a blessing and such a help, because I had lots of thoughts I was battling.  After Denise was born, the Lord spoke something very precious to my heart.  He simply said, "You carried Denise throughout that pregnancy, but Jeremy carried you."  It was true.

I also had the doctor's words, which would sneak into my thoughts.  "A baby just won't grow in your womb."  I didn't go to the doctor that said that any more, and my new doctor was wonderful, but he was still very medical-minded (which of course makes sense for a doctor).  He was continually concerned about her growth, and always running tests to make sure she was developing normally.  Towards the end of the pregnancy, he had me get several ultrasounds, and he and the ultrasounds kept saying that she was small.  "She may weigh five pounds," he would tell us.  It was so hard for me to believe, because I am very short- waisted, and she felt huge inside of me.

Denise was due on July 28, 2002.  You may remember that Diane had been 9 days late and Daniel had been 8 days early.  So, we really had no idea when Denise would be born.  Diane kept telling us she would be born on July 28th, her due date.  Diane was exactly right, which she always likes to mention when I tell the story of Denise's birth.  Denise was born exactly on her due date!  I once again decided to have a natural delivery, and the delivery went well.  The first words out of my doctor's mouth after she was born were, "She's huge!"

It makes me smile when I think of it.  The baby that they told us weighed about five pounds actually weighed 8 1/2 pounds!!!  Glory to God!  She definitely wasn't small.  She was big!  God is able to do exceedingly, abundantly MORE than we could even think of or ask for, and He went over the top with Denise!  She was and is such a blessing, such a look at the goodness and love of our Father God!

If you are ever in a situation where someone is telling you one thing, even someone with a lot of knowledge about the subject, and the Word of God/Lord is telling you a different thing, my advice is to always stick with what God is telling you!  I mean, He did create the Heavens and the Earth.  He did make man out of the dust of the Earth.  He made our bodies, and He can heal our bodies.  It is no problem for Him, and He will do it, because He loves us so very much!  He's a good, good, good, good Father, and there is nothing that is too hard for Him!  I guess it's easy to see why I love Him so much!  He's just been so good to me!  And, He'll be that good to you too, even better, if you let Him, because He loves you so much! :)

2 comments:

  1. " had been thinking about getting off of the medicine I was on ever since our conversation that night in the bath tub."

    I love that line. I love that God speaks to us wherever we are if we will just listen. I really, really enjoy your blog, Nikki.

    ReplyDelete
  2. :)
    Thanks, Jodee! You are such a blessing and an encouragement, and I always appreciate your kind words!!

    ReplyDelete