Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Not Spectacular, but God Nonetheless!

Yes, the way the Lord told us to go to Rhema Bible Training Center was spectacular to Jeremy and me, to say the least.  If we ever started to have any doubts along the way getting there, or if we started to get discouraged at all, we would look back and remember how the Lord told us both He wanted us to go to Rhema, on the same day, when we were in two separate places.  It truly was spectacular.

I  heard someone say, and it possibly could have been my pastor, Rev. Keith Moore, or maybe is was Rev. Kenneth E. Hagin, or maybe it was someone else.  Someone reading this will probably know, but I am not for sure.  But, I heard someone say "Sometimes you miss the supernatural because you're so busy looking for the spectacular."  I think that is so true.  You see, the way the Lord told us to go to Rhema was spectacular.  It was amazing!  It was perfect for that situation.  But, if you've read my other posts, then you can probably see that the way the Lord told me about going back to school was very different, much more gradual, something He showed me over time.  So, why would it be any different for Jeremy in this situation?  No, He showed Jeremy the exact same way He showed me, gradually.


Jeremy is a Godly man!  I'm so thankful for him.  And, in his (and my, for a long time) perfect World, I don't work.  He works, and I am the homemaker.  Of course, I was working at this time (the home daycare and Bath & Body Works), but I knew in Jeremy's mind my working was just a temporary thing.  Isn't it wonderful to have a husband like that, who wants to take care of his family and have his wife at home taking care of everything there?  He is such a hard worker, and I know he'd do just about anything he could to take care of our family.  I say "just about" because I know he wouldn't do anything wrong to take care of us.

So, I wasn't quite sure what he would think about me going back to school to become a teacher.  And, when I mentioned it to him the first time, his reaction really wasn't that positive.  And, I could understand just where he was coming from, because if you remember, twenty years ago I left school at the Lord's leading, and we assumed the Lord didn't want me to become a teacher at all.  In actuality, He didn't want me to become a teacher then, but we didn't know that.  He had other things for me to do first:  get married, have five beautiful children, attend a life-changing Bible School...just a few things like that!  And, oh, they've all been glorious things that I wouldn't trade for anything!

So, I mentioned it to Jeremy.  Jeremy wasn't too keen on the idea, and we just left it at that.  For about a month, I didn't mention it to him again.  Then every so often after that I would talk about maybe going back to school here and there.  I'd just share a few things about what I was thinking or what the Lord had spoken to me throughout the last few months.  I didn't pour everything the Lord had spoken to me out all at once, because I knew it would be, well, just too much.  I never pressured him about it, and I certainly didn't try to manipulate him.  People can try to manipulate other people...you know what I mean?  "Well, God told me to do this and I'm going to do it no matter what!"  That's not love. That's not God.  God isn't like that! And, I figured, "If this is something God wants me to do, He'll let my husband know about it.  And, if it's not something God wants me to do, then I don't want to do it anyway."  Besides that, it's not like I was going to be starting school tomorrow.  It was still over a year and a half before Derek started Kindergarten.  We had some time!

Isn't God good?  I mean, He gives you time to get used to things!  Sometimes He tells you things, and you do it right then, that very second.  But, I've noticed as I've grown with Him, He tells me things more in advance, and then I just have to wait until the right time to do it.  I personally like having a little time, so I can get prepared physically and mentally for what I'm going to be doing (Ummm, like homework!  Trust me when I say, that is not something I ever thought I'd be doing again!).  So, in this situation with me going back to school, God has definitely given Jeremy and me both some time to adjust to the idea.

So, what happened, you wonder.  Really, nothing that big and exciting.  Just over time, I guess Jeremy began to think it was from the Lord too.  There was never any big moment when he came to me and said, "Nikki, I do think this is what the Lord wants us to do."  Guess if we want his side of the story, he'll have to write his own post, huh?  But, I did ask him if I could share this.  He sent me the sweetest email not even a month ago, and this is what it said:


To my Nikki~

One thing that makes me fall in love with you over and over is that you are taking on the task of going back to school to become a teacher!  I am very proud of you for doing all the work and jumping in like you are.  I know you will finish and be an amazing teacher!  I am behind you 100%!  Your capturing of your future....I Love that about YOU!

Jeremy

That's all it said, and it brought tears to my eyes when I read it.  Yep, he's a keeper!  My favorite part was when he said he was behind me 100%!  That was truly music to my ears, because I didn't want to do something that he didn't support.  I'm a very blessed woman, and I pray that I will never take all that the Lord has given me for granted either.  

So, this isn't a spectacular story, but it is supernatural, nonetheless.  And, I agree with whoever it is that said that quote, "Sometimes you miss the supernatural because you're so busy looking for the spectacular."  God is doing a lot more at this very moment in your and my life than we even realize!!!  He's helping you and me more than we even know.  Sometimes at the end of the day, I'll just say that to the Lord, "Thank you for helping me today, even when I didn't even know you were!"  Yes, the spectacular stories are grand, and you really can't miss seeing God in those.  But, most of day-to-day living with God is more subtle, and following Him is more of a peace or a knowing inside than anything else.  Don't you think?

4 comments:

  1. Um, the note brought tears to my eyes when I read it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, it was pretty sweet, wasn't it? It really meant a lot to me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome Nikki! Thanks for sharing! My husband and I will be married 2 years in October and as a newly wed I appreciate your wisdom.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing that, Cyndi! I really appreciate that!(By the way, is this the Cyndi that I know from Grace Christian Fellowship Church? I'm thinking it is...) :) God is just so good!

    ReplyDelete